Monday, January 18, 2010

The Best Gift

There is nothing more wonderful than opening a gift on Christmas morning and realizing that your husband really does know you very well... and that he loves you and your craziness too. For Christmas and my birthday (which falls in the same week) Bob gave me a very special gift. On the surface it was a little odd.. a cardboard box filled with tissue paper and bits of glass and metal but hidden at the bottom was a receipt for six weeks of classes at a glass studio. I have always wanted to learn to work with stained glass but years ago I decided that it probably wasn't ever going to happen and I moved on to other obsessions. But Bob didn't forget.


My first project was a little rough but I was so proud of it that I had to show it to everyone.



I had several projects I needed to complete for homework. I have to use a gigantic soldering iron that heats up to something like 6 million degrees (actually it's 600 but it helps to keep the kids away if I use really big numbers) and the only safe work area for something that hot is in my kitchen. Zane, the kid who refused to eat anything I cooked for two weeks after seeing "The Sixth Sense", was convinced that I was contaminating his food with lead solder. But by the end of the week I had finished my homework without burning down the house or sending anyone to the hospital.



In the second class I learned how to cut glass and miter corners.



There isn't really a sufficient way to express how much I appreciate my husband. He constantly encourages me to try new things, consistently compliments my efforts, and truly believes in me. HE is the best gift!

4 comments:

Leeann said...

Aw, just reading this makes me so happy. Bob, you are DA MAN!!!!

Nic said...

He is a winner Gina! You are very lucky(as is he). Way to go Bob! Maybe I should have him talk to Mike....lol By the way, all of the things you have done so far look great. Are there many people in the class with you? How are they doing?

Ginaagain said...

He is a great guy isn't he!

Nic, it's a one on one class.. actually the student to teacher ratio is even lower than that because I have one teacher plus anyone else who is working in the studio ends up drifting over and giving me tips. I love it.

Mademoiselle Julie said...

What a GREAT husband you have, Gina! :-) I just researched today at my nearby Arts Institute their classes! Wonderful pieces you created - keep @ it, I plan on doing the same! :-) Cheers, Julie