Thursday, May 13, 2010

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

For the last week we have been working on transforming our front yard. Where we once had a messy, poorly planned (by the builder, not me!), and attention demanding flower bed I decided I want grass and a strictly disciplined rose garden. Usually I'm the last person calling for more discipline but this is a rare case. You see, I'm tired of weeding in the front yard where my neighbors can see the results of my work and, more often than not, comment. There are many good things about living in this neighborhood. Yard work isn't one of them. Especially when I can trust our heavy handed HOA to send out nastygrams if the yard doesn't look good.

So, over the weekend we went from this mess hiding behind the gorgeous girl...



To this...



We dug up a dozen bushes and moved them to the side of the house and I have been transplanting them to planter beds in the back. This morning I had a big bush left to plant under the dining room window at the side of the house. I had raked the gravel out of my planting area and dug a nice deep hole when my neighbor came over. He's an older man who doesn't speak English but always waves and smiles when he strolls past on his thrice daily walks. On Monday he took an interest in our project and stood on the sidewalk watching us roll out sod. He supervised the whole job without saying a word. However, today I was working alone when he showed up. He walked up, grabbed the shovel and, waving me away, proceeded to take over. He planted the bush and, when he was done, he grabbed my hands. Pointing to the dirt on them he shook his head and lectured me in Korean. Then he hugged me, patted my butt, and walked away!

I'm not sure if I should be annoyed or flattered...

3 comments:

Leeann said...

Um, WOW! Seriously, I have no idea what to think. It is super nice that he helped you. The butt pat? Not so great. I wonder if it was like a sports-butt-pat, like on a football team?

I guess it was better than a head butt or something. lol

skatey katie said...

so totally cute: the girl, the lawn, and the gentlemanly neighbour.
love it!! X

Tiffany said...

I breathed a sigh of relief for you when I saw how you simplified the yard. Especially with neighbors and HOA "supervising" at all times, sometimes it's just more fun to keep it simple. And I'm just going to assume patting a rump now and again is an ancient Korean tradition that says "you're welcome"!