Saturday, May 8, 2010

NaPiBoWriWee - Day 7



www.marriedtothesea.com

Seven picture books in seven days. It's an impossible challenge. On the surface it seems easy but it's a lot like spending the week with a four year old who never stops asking questions. On the first day it's fun and you feel special because you know things.. but by the end of the week you really just want some peace and quiet and a whole lot of vodka.

I finished the challenge though and now I have seven rough drafts to work on. Seven ideas that I didn't have on paper a week ago. Seven potential books. That is huge! I can never thank Paula Yoo enough for coming up with this challenge and being a constant source of encouragement this week. I don't know how she did it. Although she was writing her own books, and still working her day job, (she's co-producer of the Sy-Fy series Eureka) she still managed to write a daily blog post with tons of good information and encouragement, plus she responded to posts, did a live twitter interview late, late, one night, and had to deal with website and computer problems. I am in awe of her abilities!

I'm going to bed now and tomorrow I'm going to relax and not worry about writing. I might do the same thing on Sunday... But on Monday I will be back to work. I have some serious rewriting to do!

4 comments:

Cheri @ Blog This Mom!® said...

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing/hearing more. Rest! Have a great weekend.

Jason, as himself said...

Seven kids books in seven days? Wow! That's seriously a challenge. People tell me I should write kids's books. Maybe I can get some pointers form you.

Ginaagain said...

Thanks Cheri!

Ginaagain said...

Of course we were only writing rough drafts but it was surprisingly difficult. I haven't written picture books before. I prefer middle grade and young adult fiction but I have a new appreciation for picture books and I think I will be approaching more of my ideas as if they were PBs in order to get them out of my brain and on to paper. If you are seriously considering writing children's books (and I agree with the people who say you should) check out the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators . The Los Angeles chapter is huge and apparently very active plus the international conference in July is also in LA. Lucky you! Someday I will make it down there for the conference... someday... :-)