Monday, November 1, 2010

November

November comes,
And November goes
With the last red berries
And the first white snows,

With night coming early
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.

~ Elizabeth Coatsworth


I've spent the morning luxuriating in the dim silvery light and soothing sound of a torrential downpour. There may have been thunder earlier; or perhaps it was just the washing machine going off-balance. Soon I will have to shake off my post Halloween lethargy and rejoin the living but right now, this very moment, I am going to melt into the chilly November sky and dream of a sugar snow winter.

2 comments:

Leeann said...

Oh my gosh, that was beautiful!
Dang, you are so freaking eloquent!

Karen MEG said...

Gina, that was so pretty - I loved it! Not that I'm looking forward to the shoveling involved with the snow, but this is certainly a step toward getting me into the wintry mood.