Thursday, March 6, 2008

On the books...

Mrs. G at Derfwad Manor is giving away books this month and her generosity inspired Laura at CenterDownHome to contemplate giving away some of her own. However, in the process of analyzing her collection she seems to have found herself unable to part with anything (a condition I can completely sympathize with!) so instead of giving them away she documented the wonderous diversity of her hoard. Then she suggested that her readers do the same.

Then she posted pictures of Matt Amsden which made me go looking for information about Rawvelotion, which made me hungry…



But back to the books… I loved Laura’s pictures of her various shelves and tables full of books, unarranged, unretouched, and yet so artistic. I want to be like her! Unfortunately, I’m not Laura, I’m Gina…

(thanks Mom)

I’m a disorganized semi-packrat with a serious shortage of horizontal surfaces suitable for displaying reading material. Did I mention I moved twice in the last 18 months? I intend to use this excuse for at least another six months…

But back to the books… let me explain before I start showing pictures. You see, in my old house I had lots of built in cabinets in which to store all of my treasures. In this house I have very few. Two weeks ago we decided to move the only large built in bookcase/entertainment center, which really didn’t look right in the living room, to the den. This meant that I had to move all of the books. Since the shelving unit is the new home for a tv and all of the kids video gaming paraphernalia, my poor books are now homeless. Oh the shame!

Some are slouched against the wall in a corner of my living room, begging passersby for loose change, or wood, even particleboard will do... perhaps an IKEA gift card?

Fortunately they haven't taken up smoking.


Some huddle together in the shadow of the entertainment center hoping it will hide them from maurading dogs.

The oldest ones have taken up residence in an antique desperately in need of renovation. It's not pretty but at least they are safe there.

Many are hanging around the dining room in hopes of squeezing into a kitchen cabinet.


But the cookbooks aren't moving.


The Bible always has a home... especially during tax season.


And Bird by Bird hasn't left the bathroom in a very long time.


We won't even discuss the books jailed in boxes in the garage, or those that are hanging around the kids rooms. It's a terrible thing to be a poor, neglected book in this house and yet, like a crazy cat lady, I just keep bringing new ones home.

Help me...

13 comments:

trying to write ... said...

hello, we apparently share a love for books as well as our name ... did a google search of my name and found you
xoxo
gina

Leeann said...

ROFL! I love books too, although I can part with those that I didn't love. Rob can't part with any.

We have IKEA Billy bookcases with the glass doors- great for dust free book storage. Recommended!

Leeann

ps- Got the chocolate today...YUMMY! I was nice enough to share with my kids. Thank you for the bookmark too. It is loverly!

Gina said...

Hi Gina! Nice to meet you.

Leeann, I like the Billy bookcases. It's hard for me to visualize how things will look in the house. It took years for me to settle into the house in CA and I expect it will be the same here. I'm really surprised you got the chocolate already! I'm glad you liked it. Did you ever get the toblerone?

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Ha! "Crazy Cat Lady"! Yep, it's like that, all right. I covet a book, until I acquire it, bring it home, stroke it and pet it and give it my attention. Then after a few days, it slinks into a corner with the others.

I can't even give away the ones I don't like. I was trying to describe how much I hated "Bridges of Madison County" and wanted to reference one of those sickening descriptions of his hero-dude "like a leopard on the tail of a comet". But I had given that book away. So I need to keep even the bad ones, just in case ...

I love your photos, Gina. Isn't it fascinating what you can learn about a person from his or her books? Next party, or business conference thingy, instead of nametags, everyone wears a pic of his bookshelf. :) "Hey! Don't I know you?"

dkuroiwa said...

This is so funny!! I have piles of books...boxes of books...shopping bags of books...and some books, I KNOW I have, I'm just. not. sure.where they are...but if you give me a day, I will find what you need...or what I want to read NOW!!
I don't know about anyone else, but since I started this whole blogging thing...I have precious little time for actualy reading...of books!!! :-D

cupcake said...

Holy cannoli. I'm going to print off those photos and show them to my husband, who thinks I'm weird. At least he'll know I'm not alone. (Not that we're WEIRD - we both know better, don't we?)

Don Mills Diva said...

That's a lot of books! But I get it because I love 'em too!

Mrs. G. said...

The Turbo Tax is in the perfect spot atop that Bible. When it comes to the IRS, God help us all.

Family Adventure said...

I have friends who give away/throw away their books the minute they're done with them. Can you believe it??? If pressed, I may give a book to a dear friend as a treasured possession, but I prefer to keep all my books close at home. Just in case I'll ever need to reread a certain passage or even the entire book again.

What I'm saying is that my house looks much like yours - except I haven't moved twice in the last 18 months!

Heidi

nicrogers said...

Hey Gina! I totally feel your pain with the book addiction. I have boxes and bins and piles all over as well. Mike hates it. Oh well. It is all part of my organization plan. Oh and I got the chocolate today. Yummy! And thanks for the book mark too! Love it. :)

Karen MEG said...

Books, books... I wish I had such a collection! Actually, I've got a stack that I have to go through, once I unearth them from under the magazines. My guilty pleasure, those 'zines.

Speaking of books, thanks again for the Pocket Muse. Just got it, it looks FANTASTIC! And the chocolates, yummy!

Thanks again, Gina!

Nancy said...

I love books and have lots of them.Like you,my cookbooks won't be going any where.Thanks for the chocolate bar and bookmark.You made the February Blogger Challenge so much fun!

Swistle said...

Your antique in need of restoration---I WANTS IT. I'll take it in and not-restore it ANY day of the week. ROWR. That is a PRETTY DESKY.