Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Countdown - Day One

Many years ago my Sister in Law, Anne (Hi Anne!) gave us an Advent cabinet with a drawer for each day of the month leading up to Christmas. I love the cabinet but every year I forget to put it out until the kids remind me. So imagine how surprised they were when they came home from school today and not only was it out but it even had a project in the first drawer.


The project for tonight was construction paper Christmas countdown chains for their bedrooms. There isn't always a project in the drawer, some days it's just a couple pieces of Christmas candy. Other days I will put a note in the drawer announcing a special event, like cutting down the tree, or a pizza and Christmas cartoon marathon. It's one of the few traditions that I manage to keep year after year.

December is not my favorite month. It's too busy, too full of expectations, too expensive, and it ends with me turning a year older. But this year I'm going to try very hard to just relax and enjoy it... and I'm going to keep blogging daily to drag all of you along with me. However, like the cabinet, some days I'm just going to toss some candy in the drawer... other days I might manage something a little more special.

6 comments:

B2 C2 2009 said...

Yay! I'm glad to see you're still using it! Merry Christmas Countdown!

Love,

Anne

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

" ... and it ends with me turning a year older." Hey, me too!

(Wait -- we've emailed about this, right? I'll be FIFTY! I love fifty. I can't wait to be fifty. I am not kidding.)

I love your advent drawers. I'm reeeaaallly scaling back this year. We have THREE December birthdays and it is so discouraging to spend time unpacking Christmas while I am packing everything else!

CarolinaMomOf5 said...

I want one of those!! That is way cool. And paper chains have graced my calendar on more than one occasion! LOL

dkuroiwa said...

What an absolutely wonderful idea...a cabinet!!! The calendars are good, but as the boys get older, a drawer with something to do, or watch would be so much better than just chocolate every night!!! Something like that wouldn't be too terribly hard to make, would it?!?! Hmmmm...now you got me to thinking....
Anne seems to be a great kind of person to have around!!

Gina said...

Anne, of course we are still using it! I love it.

Laura, we need to celebrate our birthdays together.. I think I'd have more fun with you around.

Lisa, I really like your calendar idea.

Debbie, you need to check out Lisa's blog. If I didn't have the cabinet I'd have my kids make one like hers. And Anne is the greatest sister in law! I wish we lived closer.

Leeann said...

I love your tradition also, gina. You and Lisa have some really sweet things going for Christmas!