Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sometimes it's not easy...

On December first I made a commitment to enjoy this Christmas season. To focus on the positive and pay attention to the beauty around me during this month. To remember that Christmas isn't about gifts or expectations but about loving. However, sometimes the world makes it very hard to stay positive and the last few days have been a little harder than most.

When Bob's company announced upcoming lay-offs...

We prayed and then decorated the tree.



The tree is beautiful and I only had a teeny tiny melt-down when I used the pruner to trim the very top in order for the spire to fit... and accidentally cut the light wire in two.


When our oldest son's girlfriend called hysterical because they had been fighting... and when he screamed that he wasn't going to talk to his mother about anything because she doesn't care anyway and hasn't for years... and when he called back later and apologised but said he needs money... and when he called one more time to say he and the girlfriend were going to work things out but can they come over tonight and get money...

I prayed and cooked a nacho fiesta. Then we watched some really bad Christmas Cartoons.



And then when they didn't show up or call for the rest of the weekend...

I prayed some more and photographed a very exciting chess tournament.




Which ended with a wrestling match between Green Mrs. Claus and Red Santa... and two very giggly girls.

When worry about the future tried to shake me I grabbed a fluffy puppy... and prayed again.



And when I felt like I had reached my limit and just couldn't find anything positive and didn't want to pray anymore...



A huge group of complete strangers knocked on my door, sang me a song, handed me a plate of cookies, and invited me to visit their church.

Which I guess should remind me that God is listening... and unpredictable.

(I was too shocked to photograph the carolers and the cookies went really fast!)

12 comments:

nicrogers said...

Aw! You really have had a tough time of it lately. The cookies and carols were sure nice though.

Anonymous said...

Oh Gina. Ouch. Things with kids are so painful. I am glad God sent some carolers to remind you that He cares. Cookies don't hurt either!

The carolers are a reminder to me that I need to trust God to direct my steps and my words too. I bet they had no idea you were sad, yet they brightened your day.

I hope the next few weeks are peaceful. T~

B2 C2 2009 said...

I've missed you these past few days as our internet has been down. I hope you always know how much we think of you all! I know it seems unfair to have to continually be strong, but God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Your strength is the vital string that keeps all your light bulbs shining, snipped wires and all!

HF3K,

Anne

Leeann said...

(((((((((((((((((((((gina)))))))))))))))))))))))))

I know you feel tenuous. I know you have had so much going on and so much stress.

You are doing it, one day at a time, one step at a time, one cookie at a time.

Love to you,
Leeann

ms-teacher said...

Cookies always make things seem better. For my family, 2008 has not been very good. I'm really hoping that 2009 is better.

CarolinaMomOf5 said...

I read this holding my breath and praying myself that I was I wasn't going to read that Bob had gotten laid off. Thank God that wasn't part of the story and thank God for those cookies! He does work in mysterious ways, doesn't He?!

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Hey Gina -- The part where the carolers come with cookies reminded me of this Tony Robbins TED Talk, so I had to go hunt it down.

Seems like the height of insensitivity to read your post and then leave you a "well what you need is a Tony Robbins motivational speech" comment. Ugh. Stuff it, Laura! Besides, sound like you're already magnifying the good things about the season.

It's just ... well, it made me laugh when someone sent it me. (The part with Al Gore in the audience.) And Robbins talks about how the people who brought food to his family when he was young changed his life. It was inspiring, and lifted my spirits and all that. :/

Tony Robbins -- he's like the definition of "larger than life", isn't he?

xxxooo

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Well, crappitycrapcrap -- forgot the link:

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Audio-Video/Business/Leadership-and-Management/TED-Talks-Tony-Robbins/20403

http://tinyurl.com/6drldf

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I hope the kids work things out.

The tree looks great and my son would die for that chess set--where did you get it?

Karen MEG said...

Gina, what a rough weekend...I'm glad that the carolers lifted your spirits and the cookies looked awesome.

I'm hopeful that one day your oldest boy will really grow up and appreciate you for the wonderful mother that you are.

skatey katie said...

wow gina
you have so much going on in your life right now - sounds like you are "centring/centering down" though - wishing you peace X

Jason, as himself said...

This is one of the best posts of the Christmas season so far!

This is really how we have to deal with those bumps in life, isn't it?

Good luck with all of the tough stuff. Keep fighting the good fight!